Have you ever sat back and looked at your life, and thought, ” How did I get here?” You had big dreams, massive goals, but somewhere along the way, things did not go as planned. Something happened that set you off-course. Maybe at the time you thought it was just a small adjustment, but it changed your direction exponentially.
If you want to turn 2016 into the year to make forever positive changes in your life, the first step is understanding what you want to stand for and where you want to go. The most empowering thing we can do for ourselves (and our families) is to understand the disconnect between who we are currently and who we want to be.
Once we come to the realization that we want more, we deserve more, then we can discover how we can get more, create more.
One of the biggest reasons people do not change their life is because they do not realize they need it. Listen up! Going through the daily motions and getting by “ok” is NOT LIVING and it is NOT OK!
Below find some tips on how to start setting up your plan and purpose for 2016 and take this year by surprise – do something different – know where you want to go and more importantly get there!
Big Picture Tips:
- Define your Values.
- Some people will want to spend a lot of time on this, others will already have put in the work, but in order to get started on creating a plan for 2016 let’s start with a simple discovery session. Spend a few minutes with this list of values and break it down until you get the top 3-5 that are most important for where you want your life to be. At this point it is OK if you have not been living these values. This exercise is all about where you WANT TO GO, not where you have been!
- Set your intention for the year.
- Have you gotten the chance to dream lately? Do you know what you want the next 3, 6, or 12 months to look like? In the words of Yogi Berra, “If you don’t know where you are going, you might wind up someplace else.” When we set a clear intention of who we want to be, where we want to go, and what we want to accomplish we have beacons to guide us through our year and our life. Take some time to think about what you are doing at the end of the year, who you are with, where you are, and how you are feeling.
- Consider checking out our Dream a Little Dream with Me exercise and focus on this year.
- Determine if your current priorities align with your values and intention.
- Where do you put your time and energy dictates many parts of your life, whether you realize it or not. Even harder to take in – is that it could be sending you in the completely opposite direction that you want to go. Think about the family man you know who works 80-90 hours every week. Or the devote Christian who cheats on his wife and steals from his neighbor. Far too often we want to be or say our priorities are one thing, but actually our actions say something completely different.
- Take a few minutes to write down as many activities and responsibilities in your life that you can think of. We do this in our Everything I Do exercise. Once you have a complete list, consider how much time each task takes you in comparison to the results you receive from it – whether financially, mentally, emotionally, spiritually, etc.
- Chart goals for the year to lead you toward your intention.
- Once you know where you want to go, you can work backwards to create your goals. Sometimes this is a lot easier than others, and it is definitely more of an art than a science, but it is truly integral to helping your dreams or intention comes to fruition. By setting goals you create a way to challenge yourself, track your progress, readjust priorities, and so much more.
- We highly encourage three big year goals to support your intention. These can then be broken down into quarterly, monthly, and weekly goals all of which lead up to and build up to the bigger over arching goals.
If you have been around our blog for any amount of time you know these are pretty typical things we talk about. There are some basics to creating the life that you want and most all of the start with knowing what your values are and why they are what they are. We hope you find this starting point, go through our exercises and put a plan in place to work toward your greater purpose. You are meant for great things and if you stop accepting a life of going through the motions and start taking charge you will undoubtedly do amazing things to create that fabulous life!
Please share with us some of your goals, intentions, value sets, and priorities heading into 2016. And if you are brave let us know how they have changed from this year. Can’t wait to hear from you! Are you ready to rock 2016??